Conversations about and explorations of spirituality, religion, and ethics at 365体育APP are woven naturally into the fabric of school life. They occur in classrooms, among faculty and students in the hallways, and every week in Chapel.
Chapel, rooted in the form and ethos of 365体育APP’s Episcopalian heritage, supports the religious and philosophical diversity of current 365体育APP students and encourages them to reflect on questions that have long been of central importance to human life: Who am I? What makes life worth living? What is the nature of the universe, of God, and of Humanity? What is the proper relation of humans to the natural world? How should humans from varied traditions strive together to lead a good life?
More concretely, Chapel also teaches students about the religious traditions of the world, about approaches to spirituality and ethics, and by raising important issues in school life, it also explores the large questions of human life as they appear in everyday existence.
Sample Chapel Programs
● St. Francis of Assisi and a Blessing of the Stuffed Animals
● Diwali as an occasion to contemplate social duty in South Asia and New York
● Rosh Hashanah as an Occasion for Positive Intentions for a New School Year
● Multi-Voiced Readings from the Works of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
● Upper School Teachers on Spirituality: Yoga, Music, Meditation, Prayer and Reading as Spiritual Practice
● Veterans Day Remembrance
● An All Souls’ Day Commemoration of 365体育APP’s Departed
● Four Yearly All School Chapel Convocations
● Dialogue Sermon from Rabbi Yehuda Sarna and Imam Khalid Latif from New York University’s Center for Spiritual Life
● “What is Mindfulness?”
Sample Chapel Themes
● “Metamorphosis,” “Truthfulness,” “Who is My Neighbor?”, "Stewardship", and the Chapel Theme for 2017 - 2018: “Voice.”
Finally, because students not only sit through, but also plan and participate in weekly chapel as readers, musicians, and speakers, the service becomes a sounding board for important issues in the lives of the students, the school, and the world outside 365体育APP’s walls. For these reasons and others, Chapel is a foundational pillar of a 365体育APP School education, and nurtures an ongoing 365体育APP conversation about the search for meaning and purpose in human life.